Saturday, 20 July 2019

Theatre of Stars

















Sultry summer evening, 
Voices from a nearby garden 
The clink of glasses 
Muted laughter
Doves co-cooing in the branches of a tree
Squadrons of swifts performing aerial acrobatics, 
Screeching their commands as they change formation. 
A single engine plane passes
Above all this

My heart beats its steady rhythm 
ba-boom, ba-oom, ba-boom 
The clock ticks the seconds by
tick-tok, tick-tok, tick-tok
Pulses of energy from across the void of space
Until the night is formed

I am surprised to see stars
(after several cloudy days)
And they effortlessly draw me out 
into the cool stillness of the night

In search of total darkness
I find myself in the graveyard,
(having lifted the latch of the lychgate, quietly)
The only place the glare of streetlights does not intrude
The dead having no need of light

I sense no ghosts here, 
but nevertheless 
I feel a shiver down my spine
As I look up into the cosmos

And take my seat beneath the theatre of stars


20 July 19




No comments:

Post a Comment